Can Armed Forces Personnel Claim Tax Refunds?
Armed Forces or MOD personnel can claim against travel expenses on to temporary postings of under 24 months, even if they are not based in the UK under HMRC guidelines. Whether you drive or use public transport, these travel costs count.You can claim any overpaid tax for up to the last 4 years.
If you’re in the Armed Forces and make your own way to more than one base or are posted to a temporary work place under 24 months, then you are likely to be owed a refund.
Does the MOD allow Tax Refunds?
Lots of personnel think that the MOD stops the tax refunds, this is incorrect. You are entitled to the refund under HMRC regulations.We have successfully claimed refunds for MOD personnel already.
What Can I Claim for?
- Whether you use your own vehicle or public transport, you could be owed a tax refund.
- You refund amount depends on the travel you incur but the average refund we have completed is £750 per year.
- Base travel outside the UK is valid too.
How Long Does It Take?
The quicker we get all the information from you, the quicker we can pull the trigger on it. It’ll take around five working days for us to deal with it. After that, you’re looking at six to eight weeks for HMRC to send the money.
When HMRC make the repayment to us, we will credit your fee and send you the rest straight away.
What information do I need to provide you with?
We need to know the following to assess your claim:
- List of bases you’ve attended – Copies of assignment orders are helpful here and are available from JPA. This list should include the dates attended to and from. Included in this list you should also include any time spent on courses as might be claimable for as well.
- Monthly payslips – If you haven’t got all of your payslips.
- Other supporting documents – If you can, MOT certificates, P60s and P45s can also help your claim. Don’t worry if you can’t provide these though, we can still claim without them.
- Travel expenses incurred - What type of expenses have you incurred? Mileage? Train travel? We will request further details from you regarding these expenses.
- Other information – We’ll ask you a few simple yes/no questions about your financial circumstances e.g. if you have any other sources of income such as rental income, whether you have a student loan or a private pension.
What does a Tax Refund service cost?
Our standard charges are:
- £150 + VAT per tax year.
We take the hassle out of tax, making sure that you get back all the money you’re owed.